Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Jill Sobule and John Doe's Idea


If you're a music geek like me, you dream music. Wouldn't it have been fun to watch the Beatles record Sergeant Pepper? You know -- see them smoking dope, giggling and forcing Ringo to sing. Or have been a fly on the wall while Fleetwood Mac cut Rumours (if only to hear what the rest of the group was saying about Stevie Nicks when she was out of the room for her daily two hour twirl practice). John Doe (of the seminal LA punk band "X" -- no spitting please -- that is so 1979) and Jill Sobule (who turned heads by raising over 80,000 dollars from her fans to record and release her last record, California Years) has an innovative idea: fans who donate for a recording session -- can watch them make a record.

Jill suggest that she might try this in other cities. I'm hoping she takes the Last Train to Clarksville with Davy Jones. But then again, I spent my formative years as a screaming teenage girl.


A word from Jill:

Hello feller fans and friends,
 
Wanna make a record with me? Want to see what it’s like in the studio? Wanna be a bad-ass and brag to your friends? Well…in Los Angeles on April 11th the amazing John Doe and I are each making recordings, w/ the same band, in the same day ! !
 
Not only would you create the good vibe–helping us get a great performance-but you would have a rare look behind the scenes, experiencing the recording process first hand, in the same room with us while we record. Does that sound good?

We have a killer band, including Don Was on bass and Doug Pettibone on guitar. We’re paying for the studio & musicians by inviting fans to the session. 

This stuff ain’t cheap so please excuse the higher priced tickets. (It IS once in a lifetime though.) Here’s a link to find out more details and what you can expect.

www.stepinside.eventbrite.com

Jill

I will keep you posted -- if anyone spits or falls down whilst twirling.

1 comment:

  1. You know I didn't read this post closely until I saw the spitting, falling and twirling part. Reminds me of "Ruthie the Duck Lady" in New Orleans. She is the only person in the world that could do all three (spit, fall and twirl) while drinking her beer through a straw. "How 'bout one now and one for later"? Any New Orleans folks that remember Ruthie? I think you had to experience this to know what I mean here.

    ReplyDelete