Saturday, December 26, 2009

“Resistance Song” by Jill Sobule

Jill will be playing gigs in France in 2010. In tribute, here is a look at Jill's "Resistance Song" and a glimpse into her working methods. By the way, John Lennon and Ray Bradbury used dreams as part of their writing process. Recently, I found Jill sleeping on the job too.

I woke Jill out of a sound sleep. I could tell -- the yawning, the confused, "Yeah. Huh? What?" muttered into the phone. "It's okay, Vincent. I was having this dream, now I'll remember it... thanks. Can I call you back in five minutes?" She needed to write it down.

I knew it was important, it is part of her job. Journaling is where Jill often discovers songs. Writing down her dreams is part of that. Besides, it is interesting to see what is going on in our heads when we're not looking? Isn't it? Like wondering what our cat is really doing when we're not there. I once set up a video camera to solve that mystery. The answer? You don't want to know. 

"I had one of my weird high school dreams," Jill said. "It was after class and I was trying to find my way home. But I couldn't. I was completely lost. I have these dreams a lot: things like not remembering my locker combination, playing with a high school band, and I don't know any of their material. But I don't mind, you see -- I love bad dreams. You know why?"

“Why?” I asked.

“Because they didn’t happen.”

-- Jill Sobule to Vincent Blackwood (08-31-2009)



Through out my life I have had dreams that I am in the resistance. I’m fighting Nazis! They are great dreams, the kind you wake up and you just want to close your eyes back... I’m not scared. I’m in some corridor and I’ve got, you know, a machine gun, but I don’t feel bad about killing because... these are NAZIS! And it’s always VERY romantic. You know, I either think that in a pass life I was a resistance fighter or I just watched a lot of Hogan's Heroes growing up.

-- Jill Sobule (On The Edge - 1995-06-05)




“Resistance Song”
(Sobule)


I had this dream we were in the resistance
Somewhere in France fighting traitors and fascists
You were my mistress yes you were a woman
But I knew it was you by the shape of your mouth
You called me Maurice and I had a small moustache
Played clarinet in a decadent band

Until we
Hid in the bushes
We shot from the bushes
Made love in the bushes
Like there was no tomorrow

But in my real life I'm a cocktail waitress
Dodging men's hands instead of bullets
And you're a bass player in the band that got a deal
Dealing with assholes instead of explosives
Still we were grateful to be alive
Together fighting side by side

As we
Hide in the bushes
We shoot from the bushes
We love in the bushes
Like there's no tomorrow

We'll drink from the bushes
We'll hide in the bushes
We'll love in the bushes
Like there's no tomorrow

(La la la...)

We promised if one of us left or died
We'd meet again in another life

And we'll
Hide in the bushes
We'll shoot from the bushes
Make love in the bushes
Like there's no tomorrow

We'll hide in the bushes
We'll shoot from the bushes
Make love in the bushes
Like there is no tomorrow

Video for Resistance Song 


Resistance Song is from the CD Jill Sobule (1995).

Buy it from Jill’s store so she will actually make some money on it.


Jill's biggest selling CD, featuring her two MTV hits and many other favorites. Includes: Good Person Inside, Margaret, (Theme From) The Girl In The Affair, Karen By Night, Houdini's Box, Trains, I Kissed A Girl, The Jig Is Up, Resistance Song, Supermodel, The Couple On The Street, Vrbana Bridge, and Now That I Don't Have You. 

Regular price: $15.00 - ON SALE NOW: $12.00




2 comments:

  1. I always wondered about those bushes in that song... One of my favorites of Jill's.

    -- Mark Trainer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool pic of Jill as a "resistance fighter"! Fun article to read! Thanks for the post!
    -- Tami Wells

    ReplyDelete