Thursday, December 31, 2009

Concrete cows!


(A Thank You to Jill Sobule's UK Street Team)
by Vincent


Jill Sobule has given me the privilege of being her INTERNATIONAL street team Czar. When I tell friends about Jill's UK tour they always ask, "Do you get to go?" No... and yes. I won't get to travel with Jill, yet in an odd way I will. For one thing, Jill and I are the same age and seemed to have had our minds polluted by the same pop culture trash. When I listen to her music, talk to her or read her e-mails to me, I feel she is saying exactly what is in my head. Funny, the voice in my head is tiny, cute and Jewish. Who knew?

I don't know if you have seen "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" but there is a amazing song in the movie called "The Origin of Love." That song suggest that we were all once a single person made up of two people. The Gods were annoyed at us being so happy so they ripped us apart. Somewhere on this lonely planet is your other half wondering why you haven`t returned their calls. What is the problem? Do you not like you? Well, I returned Jill's call and now suspect she is my less boring twin. I have such fun living vicariously through her. In a way, I am writing cool songs, traveling the world and braking hearts where ever I go.

Then again, when I feel what Jill is feeling am I really: driving across the country in a twenty-four hour marathon jammed in a cramp, smelly van scrunched in a bucket seat with my back screaming. Or after three months on the road do I take my one day off to do laundry -- or sleep? Maybe I get finished with the tour and wander around the house like Hamlet's ghost for a solid week. I asked Jill why she does it? She looked off the bare stage to the empty seats, remembering an hour before, she smiled and said, "It's just sooo much fun."
I see the fun too. As I sign people in the UK up, I am struck again and again how fun and excited they are. And how much they are going to get a kick out of Jill. Just like when I talked to Jill for the first time, I feel (when I read the e-mails) I am talking to a good friend after a long time apart.

One woman, who has been amazing and that Jill rightfully calls a Goddess, is Emma "our girl in Milton Keynes." I can just feel the excitement and joy in her e-mails as she tells Jill all the cool things to do in town. It is the home of the decoding headquarters during the WWII that broke the German Enigma code and shortened the war. I thought that was soo cool. So did Jill. And now I find there are concrete cows standing in the fields of Milton Keynes. Yeah, I'm a dork but that is fab. And had it not been for Emma, Jill wouldn't know about them. And I suspect her trip would have been the poorer for it. Thank you Emma, you are a Goddess.

Am I going with Jill to the UK? Dang right I am. In my mind's eye, I am sitting on a concrete cow at this very moment, posing for a silly picture and waving like such a tourist. Sorry about the mess in my brain as you look around. I kind of live out of my head. But you do too...
Street Team UK... thank you!

Vincent
vincentblackwod@yahoo.co.uk


5 comments:

  1. Awesome!
    -- Tippy Mess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cow tipping just got more humane and more dangerous at the same time.
    -- Lewis Lowrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happened to Lewis...well ah um see there was this 2000 pound cow in Milton Keynes :)!
    -- Tami Wells

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the US, so this doesn't really relate, but I commend you on your Hedwig referance. A great, beautiful story, and the music is amazing. --Rob Renaud

    ReplyDelete
  5. HaHa! The infamous Milton Keynes cows! I'll be getting up there early for lunch at my favourite pub, The Ship Ashore and maybe catching up with some old friends (no not the cows) before heading to the Stables. Hmm might even take the canoe - there's loads of lakes there... -- Emma

    ReplyDelete