Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"October in Paris” by Jill Sobule


Well, it was about a trip I took with my old French boyfriend Yves (who is now my best buddy). Anyway, we had a miserable time together. I wanted to go to the Impressionist museum, and he was the one that said, "Monet, could suck his dick". He was not fond of the Orsay museum for whatever reason. It was also miserable weather and the trains were on strike. We broke up a week later. 

Oh yes, we visited his parents who were not keen on me: American and Jewish. And he told them I was "bisexual". Why would he say that to his 80 year old old fashioned French parents? 

Now, I make him sound like a terrible person. I adore him now-but was a terrible boyfriend.  
-- Jill Sobule, March 08, 2010 in an email to me.


“October in Paris”

October in Paris 
The skies are all gray 
Walk all alone on the Champs-Elysées 
It just reminds me of our German Tanks 
Rolling through the arches 

October in Paris 
It's not a great night 
Everyone's pissy 
The trains are on strike 
It must have been better in twenty-five 
Josephine Baker and Absente 

You're absent in my life 
There's nothing I can do about it 
The more I travel, 
The more I unravel 
You're absent in my life 

It's raining in Paris 
The red traffic lights 
Stream like mascara 
defusing the sky 
It just reminds me 
How much I dislike 
Monet's Water Lilies 

And it's so pathetic 
When someone name drops 
Puts famous dead artists 
And Paris in song 
Please forgive me for 
All I've done wrong 
Today my self-worth is absent 

You're absent in my life 
There's nothing I can do about it 
The more I travel 
The more I unravel 
You're absent... 
You're gone... 
You left me in the storm... 
You're absent in my life 


This song was on her Valentine CD called "Be Mine... Please" (2000).

2 comments:

  1. Agathe Rigault: For seeing it every day, I have always known that Paris wasn't so romantic. The train strike reminds me of another song, a French one in which a English man tells how he comes to Paris but since the whole city is on strike, he can't do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love museums all museums! How can people not like museums?

    I grew up in New Orleans. It was a very romantic city with a hint of Paris always in the air. Lots of Jewish and Americans! So see Jill you should of just visited the big easy! Yves, could have been a grump and no one would care!

    You would have probably had three dates in the same night and 1 out of 3 would certainly be a museum buff! Sort of a New Orleans things...when one poops out there is always another waiting! I know that sounds bad but it is just fun times with people hence the big easy. You don't have to make a commitment or sleep with folks here to have fun so the bi-sexual thing is a non-issue! Not to mention that being bi-sexual in New Orleans is considered chic...even then!

    Yves, note to self...don't be a dweeb!

    ReplyDelete